歌絲˙暮斯
The One
一擊格神

註冊日期: Feb 2003
文章: 21,203
PSN  IDKENZHAYA
引用:
UK should give British nationality to Hong Kong citizens, Tugendhat says

The UK should give Hong Kong citizens full UK nationality as a means of reassurance amid the current standoff with Beijing, the chair of the influential Commons foreign affairs committee has argued.

Tom Tugendhat said this should have happened to people in the formerly British-ruled territory in 1997, when it was handed back to Chinese control, and that doing so now would reassure Hong Kong’s people that they were supported by the UK.

Hong Kong has been gripped by 10 weeks of large-scale and occasionally violent pro-democracy demonstrations, which have been met by a sometimes brutal police response, and increasingly trenchant threats from Beijing.

Advertisement
On Monday, two Chinese state media outlets ran video footage showing armoured personnel and troop carriers purportedly driving to Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong, prompting concerns about military intervention.

Under the so-called “one country, two systems” arrangement that had Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule, Beijing considers the population to be Chinese nationals. However, a number of people in the territory hold what is known as a British national (overseas) passport, which gives some rights, for example to stay in the UK for up to six months, but no automatic ability to live permanently or work.

Tugendhat said: “The UK had obligations to Hong Kong citizens before 1997, and the extension of overseas citizenship, which is in many ways a second-tier citizenship, was a mistake, and I think it’s one that should be corrected. At a time when there are clearly tensions in Hong Kong, the UK could reassure many Hong Kong citizens that their existing rights are recognised by the UK, and they are valued.”

He said this was more about giving reassurance to Hong Kong’s people than facing down Chinese threats.

Tugendhat said: “These are still Chinese citizens from the special autonomous region, so I don’t think the Chinese government would see them as anything other than Chinese citizens under a slightly different status. I don’t think that’s the point.

“I think the point is that the UK has got an opportunity to right a wrong, to give confidence to a people that is clearly very nervous about its future, and understandably so, and I think it’s the right thing to do. And I think all those come together now.”

Hong Kong’s airport, a principal regional hub, had flights suspended for a second consecutive day on Tuesday as protesters rallied there.

Carrie Lam, the territory’s beleaguered chief executive – the head of the autonomous government chosen by a limited electorate stacked with pro-Bejing groups – said on Tuesday that continued unrest would “push Hong Kong down a path of no return, will plunge Hong Kong society into a very worrying and dangerous situation”.

Tugendhat, whose committee said in a report in March that increasing mainland Chinese interference in Hong Kong risked seeing the hands-off approach of one country, two systems, replaced by “one country, one-and-a-half systems”, urged restraint.

He said: “I don’t know what the future looks like. I can’t predict it. But what I can say is that a period of calm would be beneficial to everybody. The only way that this is going to be resolved is by political conversation. It’s not going to be resolved by violence on the streets or anything like that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...skEbT3yzCnb25Y
【反修例】英議員:應給予持有BNO港人英國籍

英國下議院外交事務委員會主席圖根達特(Tom Tugendhat)表示,香港1997年前為英國領地,英國對香港人有義務。對於持有英國國民(海外)護照(BNO)的香港人,他認為若英國繼續只給予他們二等權利,是一種錯誤;英國應該給予完整的英國國籍,以示英國承認他們的權利,讓他們安心,並糾正過往的錯誤。

【反修例】英議員促予BNO「正印」名份 BNO與英國護照有何分別?

圖根達特同時呼籲各方保持冷靜,指只有通過政治對話,而非暴力,才可以解決問題。

《衛報》報道指出,雖然香港人自回歸後,北京已視他們為中國公民,但實際上部分香港人持有BNO,擁有部分英國公民的權利,如可在英國逗留最多6個月,只是不能隨便工作及永久居留。
歌絲˙暮斯 目前離線   回覆時引用此篇文章

返回主題: 英聯邦應給予香港人第二公民身份