主題工具 顯示模式
舊 04-07-11, 03:58 AM   #1
Netnet
Game Master

註冊日期: Jul 2005
文章: 3,495
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-...s-198209.phtml

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PSP, Wii, DS, PC, 3DS [Previewed])
Developer: Traveller's Tales
Publisher: Disney Interactive
To Be Released: May 10th, 2011

Hands-On: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean 3DS

Unless you’ve been living in a cave on the moon with your fingers in your ears, you’re probably aware that LEGO has had a consistent presence in the video game world for the last decade. As someone who grew up playing with analog LEGO sets, I’ve always been a little uneasy with this concept. To me, LEGO has always been about limitless creativity, while video games -- let’s face it -- don’t usually leave a whole lot to the imagination.

When asked to check out LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, I probably made some kind of grunt and a shrugging motion. Read on to see what I thought.

In terms of gaming, the LEGO franchise has come a very long way. Early releases like LEGO Island and LEGO Racer came out during my “I’m too old for that” years. This was coincidentally right around the same time that LEGO started releasing their first licensed Star Wars sets, which I definitely didn’t consider myself too old for.

LEGO Star Wars was the first licensed LEGO game, and it was followed closely by other successful properties like Batman, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter. My experience with these titles hasn’t consisted of much more than idly fiddling with them at friends’ houses or Best Buy demo kiosks. I thought the games were cute, but never gave them my full attention.

To get completely off-topic for a second, here's a little anecdote for you: When I was a kid, I had a ridiculous LEGO collection, and my next door neighbor had more Super Nintendo games than anyone I knew. He’d always come to my house and play with my toys, and when I was over at his house, all I wanted to do was play SNES.

Somehow, I wound up writing about video games and he’s got a job doing illustration and design-related work for LEGO. Go figure. I was on the phone with him last year, and he accidentally mentioned some Pirates of the Caribbean project he’d been working on. This was top secret news at the time, so I promised to keep it to myself.

I never got too excited about the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. First one was fun, but I didn’t have a fanboy panic attack over the sequels. As a property to get LEGOficated, though, Pirates totally works. The old LEGO pirate toys were responsible for some of my most un-traumatic childhood memories. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean? Yeah, I can get behind that, even if it's a movie tie-in.

Traveller’s Tales games has gotten the LEGO adventure games down to a science at this point. They’ve done three Star Wars games, two Indiana Jones, Batman, and Harry Potter. If you aren’t familiar with the style of gameplay used in these titles, it’s pretty simple.

Players control LEGO minifigure versions of familiar characters like Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter, and play through adorable and cartoony LEGO adaptations of scenes from the characters’ respective movies/stories. A lot of the gameplay is puzzle-based, and relies on building stuff out of the LEGO bricks in the environment. There are also plenty of LEGO battles, which are hilarious and adorable, since there’s nothing upsetting about watching LEGO people get dismembered.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean adapts the three existing films, and this summer's addition On Stranger Tides. There are four levels from each movie (five in the Xbox 360 version of the game.) I had a chance to play the last couple levels of At World’s End, the third movie in the series. Conveniently, I’ve seen the first two movies, but turned the third one off halfway through. I can’t vouch for how accurately the levels I played reflect their corresponding scenes in the film.

The first level I played took place on a pirate ship in the middle of a whirlpool, and focused on solving puzzles. I was making a little LEGO Will Turner run around and gather objects hidden on the ship in order to perform a Voodoo offering that would make sea-witch Calypso grow really big. Pirates of the Caribbean fans will make more sense out of this scenario than I did, hopefully.

Everything in the world that’s made of LEGO pieces can be interacted with. This means firing cannons, turning cranks, smashing crates. Little bricks flying everywhere. One puzzle involved using Will’s sword as lever to open a hatch. Inside the hatch was a gear, which I then placed on one of three small posts. In video game puzzle logic, there are two more gears to find, which can then attached to posts. Cranks get turned and a platform appears with a cannon on it, which Will can use to fire himself into the ship’s rigging to continue the Voodoo scavenger hunt.

One of the main features of these LEGO games is being able to play as a variety of characters with different abilities. If you count alternate outfits, there are over a hundred different playable characters in LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean on the 3DS, and some of the puzzles can only be solved by a specific character. In the level I played, I needed Elizabeth Turner’s grappling hook ability to access certain areas. Switching from Will Turner to her was just a matter of tapping her icon on the bottom screen.

After the puzzle stage is over, a bunch of enemies showed up, and adorable LEGO violence ensued. Some of the stronger enemies can’t be killed with basic melee attacks or gunfire, so you’ll be forced to duel with them. This is done through fairly simple quick time events. Each duel started with tapping B fast enough to fill up this sort of duel-meter, and then matching button combinations shown on screen to block the enemy's attacks.

After I fought all the monster pirate guys on the ship’s deck, Davy Jones appeared. I guess he’s a boss, but fighting him didn’t feel like any kind of epic, important challenge. It was just a matter of following him around the ship and beating him at several duels. If for some reason it wasn’t abundantly clear, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean is aimed at kids, so you really can’t blame parts of it for being easy or simple. It's funny and endearing, which is more than can be said for most children I know.

What’s extremely amusing is watching a cut scene where a LEGO guy gets impaled with a sword. It’s cute because it’d actually be really gruesome in real life.

As far as the 3D effect on the 3DS goes, I thought it looked good. Not distracting, but also not half-assedly underwhelming. Coming from me, that’s pretty high praise, because I generally think 3D looks dumb.

I’m not gonna lie, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean is really neat. Sitting down and playing it made me want to break out my old LEGO pirate sets. As far as the gameplay goes, I was amused, and I think I might have to go back and check out some of the other LEGO games that don’t involve Orlando Bloom. LEGO minifigure or not, I'm still not a fan.
Netnet 目前離線   回覆時引用此篇文章
舊 02-28-12, 12:09 PM   #2
ahleung
The One
Bannnned

註冊日期: Jun 2002
文章: 28,498
PA 所有版本 Lego魔盜王 USD$19.9
http://www.play-asia.com/Sail_seven_...bn-74-36r.html
ahleung 目前離線   回覆時引用此篇文章
回覆

論壇跳轉

相似的主題
主題 主題作者 版面 回覆 最後發表
[多機種] Lego Pirates of the Caribbean david 電視遊戲討論版 30 12-19-12 05:09 PM
《魔盜王III 之 天涯海角》﹝暫譯﹞ Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 天星碼頭高達 電影版 169 06-24-07 06:49 PM
[多機種] Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End(加勒比海盜)圖片及影片 神祕人1號 電視遊戲討論版 11 05-20-07 02:28 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Raymondz 電影版 5 12-08-05 09:27 PM
did anyone see Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl? GimGim Neo Entertainment TREND 7 08-19-03 08:55 PM

現在的時間是 01:05 PM

手機版 | APP版